This assignment has not only taught me that media influence does not stop with the news, but goes on to influence TV shows and movies. I was shocked to find out that only 6 big companies own the hundreds of TV channels we know and watch. One of my all time favorite shows is Grey's Anatomy, which is produced by Lifetime. I was shocked to find out that Lifetime TV is owned by the Walt Disney Company. In doing some research I found out the the Walt Disney Company is known for producing shows or movies in which a female actress is the lead role. This is strongly portrayed in Grey's Anatomy, as the show revolves around the life of Meredith Grey, a female general surgeon.
Walt Disney Company, also known as just Disney, is the worlds second largest media conglomerate in terms of revenue, only behind Comcast. Disney has a $40.1 billion dollar revenue and owns TV channels, radio stations, print media, and other types of entertainment such as Marvel Entertainment and the Disney Store. When I thought of the Walt Disney Company I only thought of Disney World/Disney Land, and TV channels such as Disney Channel. I am shocked to know the the company has ownership of thousands of different sub companies, all of which have the morals and opinions of the Walt Disney Company.
Hi Monique! Your research on the most popular form of children's media is very interesting. Disney, is so popular, and more influential than we believe. Also, I like how you made the comparison of lead female roles in other channels owned by Disney, such as lifetime. Great blog, thanks for sharing!
ReplyDelete