Though I do believe people have the right to bare arms, the use of video games to market them is, in my opinion, unwarranted. There are many children (18 and younger) that play these types of games, and though many may say it is up to the parents to shield them from such games, many times they find ways around it. Personally I have been a nanny for a 4 year old boy who was allowed to play these video games, and he was more violent than other children that I was a nanny for. Though I am not saying that video games have a direct correlation with how individuals act I do believe it effects their mind set.
Saturday, February 18, 2017
Just a Game?
I have never been a fan of guns, because of this my knowledge of guns within video games is slightly limited. However, many of my friends play games such as Grand Theft Auto and Call of Duty; both which are highly violent games in which guns are used. Both games, for the most part, have male characters; emphasizing the masculinity that society has put on guns and violence. The use of male characters in these video games emphasizes the masculinity that most people associate with guns. As you can see in the video below the male character has a variety of guns to choose from, showing the militarism part of this game.
Though I do believe people have the right to bare arms, the use of video games to market them is, in my opinion, unwarranted. There are many children (18 and younger) that play these types of games, and though many may say it is up to the parents to shield them from such games, many times they find ways around it. Personally I have been a nanny for a 4 year old boy who was allowed to play these video games, and he was more violent than other children that I was a nanny for. Though I am not saying that video games have a direct correlation with how individuals act I do believe it effects their mind set.
Though I do believe people have the right to bare arms, the use of video games to market them is, in my opinion, unwarranted. There are many children (18 and younger) that play these types of games, and though many may say it is up to the parents to shield them from such games, many times they find ways around it. Personally I have been a nanny for a 4 year old boy who was allowed to play these video games, and he was more violent than other children that I was a nanny for. Though I am not saying that video games have a direct correlation with how individuals act I do believe it effects their mind set.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hey Monique,
ReplyDeleteI guess I did not notice that these games with such violence are mostly male characters. The only video game that I can think of with a female lead character is Tomb Raider. In games such as Grand Theft Auto, players can buy and kill hookers among many other violent acts. I found some articles relating video game violence with teens and young adults who carry out assassinations (such as Columbine etc) and almost all of them were heavy video game players. One of them specifically said he used Call of Duty as training, which is terrifying.
Hey Monique,
ReplyDeleteAfter reading your post, it is cool to hear from somebody that has an opposing view on the topic. Like you said, growing up my parents didn't really filter the types of games or movies I watched. As a result I played a lot of games like Call of Duty and Resident Evil. However, after playing this games and growing up, I am far from violent. As I mentioned in my blog, I do not even own a gun; that is not to say that everybody is the same though. As you mentioned though, I am sure that their is kids out there who are higher influenced by the games they play, so maybe they should not promote guns in video games?
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI was also a nanny for a boy (5 years old) who played very violent video games. When he threw fits he would say he was going to kill people and burn the house down. I assumed he was learning this stuff from the games he played but I wasn't sure. I think it's interesting that you noticed a difference between the kids you watched.
ReplyDelete